TO HELP you use Driving.co.uk, we are developing an online resource of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Q. I want to buy a car but I’m not sure what make and model suits my needs — what do I do?
You’re not alone; in fact, most car buyers don’t know exactly what they’re after. Try reading our in-depth reviews, our buying guides and use our Lifestyle Search to pinpoint the best vehicle for you.
Q. Do you sell commercial vehicles as well as cars?
Yes. Click here to search our full stock of vans for sale.
Q. As a consumer, will I need to pay to use Driving’s USED CAR FINDER or read the stories and reviews?
No, driving.co.uk is not a subscription-based site. Our USED CAR FINDER service is free of charge, as are all of our great car news articles, reviews and guides.
Q. Is the site updated more frequently than the print publication of Driving?
Yes, the site will be updated every day by our driving.co.uk editorial team. Click here for contact details.
Q. As a dealer, how much does it cost to advertise my stock?
We have a range of price plans available to suit your budget. To find out which option is right for you please visit driving.co.uk/advertise-with-us/.
Q. As a private owner, is it really free to advertise my car for sale?
Yes. See below for full private seller FAQs.
Q. How frequently is the car stock updated?
Car stock is updated at least every day. Often hourly.
Q. If I have any questions regarding my stock, who can I speak to?
You can contact our friendly support team on 0845 265 6001.
Q. How will driving.co.uk use my data?
Q. Do I need a separate URL or app to browse the site on my mobile device?
No. driving.co.uk has been developed as a fully “responsive” site, so it will work whether you are on a small phone or a large desktop computer.
Q. Your cars have been history checked. What exactly does that mean?
Please read our full guide to our History Check service to find out what the alerts mean and what has — and what hasn’t — been checked.
Q. How do I create or amend a Private Seller advert?
To create a new advert, you will first need to register for a ‘My Garage’ account by completing the form and following the instructions on screen.
To amend an existing advert, you will need to log in to your current ‘My Garage’ account, where your advert details are stored.
Once you have registered or signed in, you will be given the option to create or manage your vehicle adverts in your account area, where you can also: create and manage saved searches, view your shortlisted vehicles, and track your conversations with any potential buyers.
Q. Why can’t I register for a ‘My Garage’ account?
If you are having trouble registering for a new My Garage account, it may be that you already have one. Follow the steps below to regain access to your account:
- Try logging in using your email address and password.
- If you can’t remember your password, you can create a new one by following the “Forgotten password” link, which can be found below the sign in form. If you receive a password reset email successfully, this will confirm that you already have an account registered to that email address.
- Follow the steps given in the email to change your password and sign back in
- If you don’t receive a password reset email then you may have registered using social media (Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus). If this is the case, simply choose ‘Sign in using social media’ and follow the instructions.
If you still encounter problems, please contact us.
Q. Why is my mobile number “already in use”?
If you are told that your mobile number is already in use, it may mean you have used this number to register in the past. If you cannot remember your login details, please contact us and we will be happy to help.
Q. Where is my advert?
When you have created your vehicle advert, it will need to be approved by a member of the driving.co.uk team. Once approved, an advert can take up to 12 hours to appear on the website, which is updated twice daily.
If, however, your advert has not appeared after 24 hours (or 48 hours at weekends), please contact us and we will investigate.
Q. Why has my advert been rejected?
There are a number of reasons why an advert may be rejected, but there are also some simple steps you can take to rectify the problem and get your advert online:
- Check that the price and mileage are correct. Vehicles that are priced too low can be an indicator of fraud, so it’s a good idea to make sure you price your advert correctly. Our top tip when creating your advert is to try to find a price point that will attract potential buyers without undervaluing the car, whilst leaving a little room to haggle.
- Next, check that the images of your car are appropriate. You have five images to showcase your vehicle and may want to include interior and exterior shots with details such as the wheels, the dashboard and mileage, any damage, as well as the front, rear and side views of the car. Try to get the full car in the frame (from top to bottom) and take the pictures at home (rather than a public place such as a street or car park), ensuring that the view of the car is not obscured by any plants, people or objects. Your advert may have been rejected if there are people in the pictures. If this is the case, you could try replacing those images with pictures of the car alone – you may then find that your advert is approved.
- Finally, if you are a vehicle trader (advertise more than three vehicles in one year) and would like to advertise your stock for sale on Driving.co.uk or the Motors.co.uk network, please contact us.
If you have taken these steps and your advert is still rejected, please don’t hesitate to get in touch at email@example.com.
Q. How do I relist my vehicle for sale?
If your vehicle hasn’t sold the first time around, don’t worry, you can relist it for another twelve weeks at no cost. Once the original advert has expired, simply log back into your account, click on “Manage Advert” and then choose the “Relist” icon (the circular arrow).
Q. Why is my automatic car listed as manual?
If you have listed an automatic vehicle for sale but it is displaying incorrectly as manual, you can edit the advert from your account area and include the word “Auto” in the “Variant” field. Your vehicle should then appear as automatic.
If you experience any further issues, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Q. How do I know if an advert or potential buyer is genuine?
If you are at all suspicious of a vehicle advert you have seen, or of a potential buyer who has contacted you, please do let us know. Some signs of a fraudulent buyer can include:
- Offering to pay over the odds for the vehicle
- Requesting to pay by cheque, PayPal or Western Union
- Agreeing to buy the car without viewing it first
- Arranging a shipping agent or courier
You can find more advice, guides and videos on safe selling at our security page. Remember – if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Q. What should I do if I think I’m being contacted by a fraudulent buyer or seller?
If you believe you have been contacted by a fraudulent buyer or seller, please let us know as soon as possible. It would be helpful if you could send a copy of the correspondence to firstname.lastname@example.org for our reference.
You should also report any fraudulent activity to the following bodies:
Vehicle Safe Trading Advisory Group (VSTAG)
0300 123 2040 (textphone 0300 123 2050)