My garage recorded the wrong mileage at my car's MoT — can the record be corrected?

Your motoring problems solved

The mileage in my car was inputted incorrectly by my dealer - how can I correct the record

I want to sell my Nissan Note, but during the car’s last MoT the garage recorded an incorrect mileage of nearly 50,000, double the genuine figure. It now says there’s nothing it can do about it. PS, Dunstable


The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) confirmed it is possible for the MoT testing station to correct mileage errors only within seven days of the test. After that, motorists must contact the DVSA themselves.

Before correcting the MoT record on its database, the DVSA may ask to check the car’s current mileage and see any evidence of what the odometer reading was at the time of the MoT test, as well as service records or invoices. These measures are designed to combat mileage fraud.

Sunday Times Driving Car Clinic: Emma Smith, consumer advice

Emma Smith is a journalist specialising in consumer issues and is a regular Driving contributor — read more from Emma here.

Email your question to or write to Car Clinic, Driving, The Sunday Times, 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF, with a daytime phone number,
your address and as much detail about your car as possible. We can’t reply in person, so don’t send original documents or SAEs. Advice is given without legal responsibility.

Browse NEW or USED cars for sale on