I have an unusual private registration plate - how can I find out what cars it's been registered to?

Your motoring problems solved

Car Clinic: private registration plates

Q. I recently transferred an unusual private registration to my car: 1386 R. How can I find out what cars this number has been registered to? The internet has been unable to help and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) never answers the phone. PC, Lanchester, Co Durham

A. The DVLA is legally allowed to disclose vehicle information to anyone who can demonstrate a reasonable cause for requiring it. Requests from owners of private registrations for the history of their numberplate are considered reasonable cause, according to the DVLA.

So you are entitled to request information relating to the make and model of the vehicles your registration number has previously been assigned to.

You need to write to the DVLA and provide your full name, address and details of the vehicle registration number on a V888 form, which you will find at tinyurl.com/ny67xvu.

There is a £5 fee for the service. Send your form with any necessary documents to Vehicle Record Enquiries, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AJ.

Sunday Times Driving Car Clinic: Emma Smith, consumer advice

Emma Smith is a journalist specialising in consumer issues and is a regular Driving contributor – read more from Emma here.

Email your question to carclinic@sunday-times.co.uk or write to Car Clinic, Driving, The Sunday Times, 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF, with a daytime phone number,
your address and as much detail about your car as possible. We can’t reply in person, so don’t send original documents or SAEs. Advice is given without legal responsibility.